National Institute of Chemistry,
Born 1949 in Ljubljana, Slovenia.
Home address: Vogelna 10, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Main research interests of Dr. Solmajer are rational drug design and discovery of new chemical entities in the field of antiinfective and cardiovascular therapeutics.
Present position of Dr. Solmajer is Scientific Counselor in the Laboratory for Biocomputing and Bioinformatics at the National Institute of Chemistry and Professor of Medicinal Chemistry at Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Ljubljana. Our principal research interests are rational drug design and discovery of novel chemical entities. Recently, the application of structure based drug design approach has resulted in interesting novel NCE’s in the field of antiinfectives (inhibitors of beta lactamases, inhibitors of enzymes DNA gyrase A and DNA gyrase B, inhibitors of enzymes in bacterial peptidoglycan building cascade Mur D and Mur E) and cardiovascular therapeutic area (thrombin inhibitors).
- Bachelor of Science in Physics, University of Ljubljana, 1972.
- Graduate School, University of Ljubljana, Department of Physics.
- M. Sc. in Chemical Physics, 1976. (supervisor: D. Hadži)
- PhD in Chemistry, 1981, Department of Chemistry, University of Ljubljana with PhD Thesis: Pharmacophores based on Electrostatic Potential Maps (supervisor: D. Hadži)
- Postdoctoral fellowship in La Jolla, California, US, 1984-1986: University of California, San Diego, Department of Biochemistry (with J. Kraut)
- The Salk Institute of Biology, La Jolla, Department of Peptide Chemistry (with J. Rivier)
- The Agouron Institute, La Jolla, Department of Biophysics (with A. Hagler)
- Krka Pharmaceuticals, Research Institute (1972-1978),
- Lek Pharmaceuticals d.d.,Research and Development (1978- 2007), retired as Head, Department of Drug Design, Drug Discovery Unit
- National Institute of Chemistry, Ljubljana 1972-present
- Research assistant 1972-1982.
- Postdoctoral fellow: 1984-1986 La Jolla, California , USA.
- Research Fellow, 1982-1992
- Visiting research fellow at Department of Structural Biology, Biozentrum, University of Basel, Switzerland 1990-1992( with J. Jansonius, E.L. Mehler).
- Senior research fellow 1992-2000,
- Scientific Counselor 2000- present
- 1991- Assistant Professor, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Ljubljana
- 1992 – Undergraduate course: Electrostatics in proteins, Biozentrum, University of Basel, Switzerland
- 1997 – Associate Professor, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Ljubljana
- 2006 - Professor of Medicinal Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Ljubljana.
- Krka Price for students 1975
- Merck Postdocoral Fellowship 1984