Janko Jamnik Doctoral Scholarship for Promising Early-Stage Researchers in Chemistry and Related Sciences
Applicants (M/F) who will complete their studies of the VII/2 level in chemistry and related sciences (e.g. chemistry, chemical technology, pharmacy, physics, mathematics, biochemistry, biotechnology, biology, microbiology, molecular biology, materials...) by the end of September 2021, and have never enrolled in doctoral studies, can apply for the open competition.
The scholarship will cover the salary of the selected applicant, the enrollment fee for the doctoral study and a visit to one conference per year of his/her choice, as well as the costs for a six-month training programme abroad.
The selected applicant must fulfill all the conditions for enrollment in doctoral studies in the academic year 2021/2022 at one of the doctoral programmes of the University of Ljubljana, within the enrollment deadline. The applicant will select an appropriate topic and mentor for his/her doctoral thesis, in agreement with one of the heads of departments at the National Institute of Chemistry. The list of potential topics for this year's open competition is published in the attachment below. For more information on each topic, applicants can contact the mentors mentioned.
After the submission of proof of fulfillment of the conditions of the open competition and conditions for enrollment, the selected applicant will conclude an employment contract for the job post "Early Stage Researcher", and a scholarship contract that will regulate the rights and obligations of the selected applicant in greater detail. The employment contract will be concluded for the period until a doctoral degree is obtained, or for a maximum of 4 years.
The application should include:
- At least two letters of recommendation;
- Letter of motivation (one A4 page);
- Essay (one A4 page) on one of the following topics:
The role of polymers for the development of society
Vaccines of the future
Machine learning for the development of smart materials
LETTER OF MOTIVATION
In the letter of motivation, the applicant should briefly explain why he/she wishes to continue his/her career at the National Institute of Technology as a doctoral student. The letter of motivation should include:
• A brief summary of the applicant's achievements during the course of his/her studies;
• A brief description of the fields the applicant is most interested in for future doctoral study;
• What motivates him/her most to work in science;
• A description of prior experience and other competencies that will make the applicant a good scientist.
The letter of motivation should be written on one A4 page (2 cm margins), Times New Roman 12pt font, one line spacing between lines.
In the essay, the applicant should briefly discuss one of the three proposed topics. The essay should be written on the template published on the website of the National Institute of Chemistry.
- Excellence in research and study achievements during the course of studies: up to 6 points
- Essay: up to 4 points
Applications will be evaluated by a 5-member expert committee, and the decision on the selected applicant will be publicly announced.
Applications should be sent to the Institute of Chemistry, Hajdrihova 19, Ljubljana, by 30 April 2021, quoting: "Open Competition - Doctoral Scholarship" and "Do not open". For additional information, applicants should contact the Human Resources Department of the National Institute of Chemistry; at 01/4760 435, e-mail: kaja.rems(at)ki.si.
- Topics for the Janko Jamnik Doctoral Scholarship for Promising Early-Stage Researchers in Chemistry and Related Sciences for 2021 (Topics being added; last updated: 30th, April 2021)