With the new Horizon Europe Framework Program, the European Commission is introducing a novelty, according to which all public institutions of the Member States and Associate Members, higher education and research organizations wishing to apply for Horizon Europe calls have to adapt "Gender Equality Plan".
On 15 April 2021, the Director appointed the Council for Equal Opportunities in Science to provide expert assistance in the preparation of the Gender Equality Plan, the achievement of objectives and the monitoring of progress in the field of equal opportunities in science.
The Council has the following members:
- Marjan Bele, PhD
- Assoc. prof. Marta Klanjšek Grunde, PhD
- Assist. Andrej Perdih, PhD
- Iva Hafner Bratković, PhD
- Matej Huš, PhD
- Tajda Klobučar
- Tanja Svetic
- Ivica Ilić
The Council is chaired by prof. Simona Golič Grdadolnik, PhD. The term of office of the members of the Council for Equal Opportunities in Science is 5 years.
The assignment of the Council is to prepare a Plan for Gender Equality, which must contain measures grouped into basic building blocks, which will address the following topics:
- Gender equality in employment and career advancement opportunities
- Gender-balanced representation in managerial and decision-making positions
- Harmonizing private and professional life within organizational culture
- Taking gender dimensions into account in research and teaching
- Prevention of gender-based violence, including sexual harassment
The assignment of the Council for Equal Opportunities in Science are also:
- Monitoring the implementation of provisions and laws in the field of equal opportunities in science,
- Monitoring and assessing the state and progress in the realization of equal opportunities in science and in various areas of social life,
- Giving initiatives, proposals and recommendations for the adoption of measures for the realization of equal opportunities in science,
- Taking initiatives to promote education, awareness-raising and research in the field of equal opportunities in science,
- Monitoring developments in the EU institutions in the field of equal opportunities in science,
- Initiating the collection and analysis of data for the effective formulation of equal opportunities policies in science, with a view to making action in this field as targeted and effective as possible,
- To draw attention to and endeavor to eliminate discriminatory provisions in obtaining funding for research and scientific work,
- To draw attention to and strive for a gender-balanced composition of permanent and occasional professional bodies,
- Participate in consultations and discussions on equal opportunities and make proposals for structural changes to ensure equal opportunities in science.